Today's word is dignity.


Sometimes I have so much to write about, I end up not writing at all.  Kind of like this.





A few weeks ago, I was talking with a dear friend about some extremely odd behavior of a grown man and she said, "I mean really, have some dignity"

Dignity.

And that got me REALLY thinking about that word.  

I have a thing with words, maybe you've noticed?  Anyway, Merriam-Webster defines dignity as....
: a way of appearing or behaving that suggests seriousness and self-control
: the quality of being worthy of honor or respect

I'm not so sure about the "seriousness" part but self-control?  Yes.  Being worthy of honor and respect? Sign me up please. 

I define dignity as



Or some sort of version of that. 

Dignity for me is really that thing buried deep inside of you, likely entangled with your soul and your self worth and things like pride and inner strength that tell you, "I'm better than this."

Dignity is that thing that tells you that you don't need to gossip.  Dignity is also that thing that tells you that creeping your ex on facebook is just so beneath you. Dignity is that thing that allows you to let go of the things that no longer serve you.   Dignity is that thing that makes you proud, makes you hold your head high. Dignity is that thing that says ....



 It's ALSO that thing inside of you that says 


This might be my favorite meme of all time. 

....and yet enough of us forget we have dignity.  We get caught in these traps.  Social media encourages us to put ALL, and I do mean ALL of our junk out there for the universe to see and in the process of that, I think as a whole we are becoming .... undignified.  

It's OK to be an open book but it's also OK to keep a few things close to the chest, too.  We talk about stepping into the arena a'la Brene Brown.  YES, step into the arena, but remember that one of the most important principles Brene talks about in living a whole hearted life is to share your story with those who have EARNED the right to hear it.

There is no dignity is sharing your story with anyone and everyone.  If you do that, aren't you, um, a Kardashian?  

And while the Kardashians have  A LOT of things, I dare say, dignity isn't really one of them.

So this week I am reminding myself to walk with dignity.  To share my story with those who have earned the right to hear it.  To feed my soul with those things that are positive.  To act in a a way that shines a light not just on me but on those around me.   Not in a way that dims that light or puts me in a shadow.  To talk in a way that makes me proud.  Better yet, to listen in a way that makes me proud. 

I need to live my life, no-- I owe it to myself to live a life that is worthy of honor and respect. I will create a life that is worthy of honor and respect. I will handle myself with dignity because I know that I am worthy. 

And you know what? I'll handle myself with dignity because my kids are watching. And the most important thing I will ever do in my life is show them the way. 

I may as well at least attempt to get it right. 

It seems like the dignified thing to do. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oysters, triggers, and healing.

Shameless self promotion

"This book"